Thursday, January 14, 2010

The GAME Plan

This week in the course I am taking (Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas), I read and will reflect here upon the National Education Standards for Teaching as presented by the International Society for Technology in Education. The five standards are: Teachers will (1) Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity, (2) Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments, (3) Model Digital-Age Work and Learning, (4) Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility and (5) Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership.
http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf


In reading the objectives for each standard, I see my deficiencies in all five areas. To me the standards can be viewed as a pyramid. Teachers will begin with Standard 5, providing a strong base to their pyramid by learning about, demonstrating and promoting the use of digital tools and technology. I see myself actively working on this standard via my Master's in Education at Walden University. It is Standards 4 and 5 that I feel most comfortable. With both there is still much room for improvement though.

According to Dr. Peggy Ertmer there are four important variables that influence a teacher's ability to enrich the content area learning experiences of students using technology. Teachers must have the technology skills including understanding how technology enables students to learn content and what technology tools are best for the situation. Teachers must be confident in showing students how to use the tools or have the confidence to have students help each other. Teachers must believe that technology can assist in improving teaching and learning. Finally teachers need a supportive culture via colleagues who will support and take risks with you (Laureate, 2009).

In order to improve my knowledge, confidence and support network, I am developing a GAME plan. With it I will set goals, plan actions to reach my goals, monitor the results of those actions and evaluate my results (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, pg. 3-5). This plan will help me gain the confidence and proficiency I need in order to move upward on the ladder of success (NETS-T Standards).

I see concept mapping and wikis as two technology tools that can be of great benefit to my students. I lack the confidence and support network to successfully integrate them into my classroom at this time. In my GAME plan, my goals are to become confident and proficient in both concept mapping and wikis. In order to achieve those goals, I will find teachers in my building that currently have that confidence/proficiency and (1) enlist their support in mastering the two tools and (2) observe those teachers as they use concept mapping and wikis with their students. In order to monitor my progress, I will reflect weekly on my progress and evaluate if my actions are netting the results I want. As needed, I will modify my actions until I have reached the point that I not only have mastered creating concept maps and wikis, but I have the confidence and use them with my students.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA:
Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the Content areas. Baltimore: Author.

4 comments:

Michelle P said...

Hi Diane,
It's interesting that you made the observation of the NETS-T standards being like a pyramid. I think that is a good way to look at it. I agree with you that teachers must understand how technology enables students to learn and what tools are best for certain situations. Learning what is best for each situation will probably come with experience. I'm sure that each class will be different as to what works for different lessons.

For your GAME plan, you came up with some good action steps. I think observing other teachers use these tools would help a lot if you have the time. You could also see if there are some online tutorials for wikis. Watching these tools at work before you use them on your own will probably help you start to see how you can adapt them to your own classroom.

zendaya said...

A pleasant good morning!!

You state that you are not confident integrating concept maps and wikis. I felt the same way too. First of all it was briefly introduced at Walden and we never went into much details. One day out of the blue I went on Wiki spaces. I create a wiki to hold discussions, place assignments, videos, or just to post comments. The students love it for it makes them accountable and nobody can ever say that they never new what to do for homework and that they don't understand what they have for homework. It also used as an accountability tool to show what you have been teaching. Concept Maps, are really cool! I was very unsure about how to use them. The first time I used them was when I was showing the life of Shakespeare. The students had to the read the concept map to gather information and blog the information found on Shakespeare. I also used it in a test, and students had to create their own concept map based on character development. I was so impressed with myself. I will send you the link of my wiki so you can see what I have done.
year2literature.wikispaces.com

robbin+son said...

Hi Najele

I like your idea of using a Wiki for a classroom collection point for assignments, activities, student creations etc. Thanks for sharing your wiki address. I will visit it now.

Author Donna Wayles said...

Diane, I too feel rather uncomfortable with wikis and made it part of my goal. I agree that watching other teachers use them, or even watching videos or reading articles on the internet can help. I made these part of my action plan, just as you did.