Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's All in the NETS

The purpose of this blog is to reflect on the value of using the GAME plan process and how it can be used to help students achieve the National Education Standards for Students (NETS-S). In order for students to achieve the NETS-S, teachers need to achieve their corresponding NETS-T. Below is a list of the teacher’s standards and the corresponding student standard. It is apparent how one supports the other.

1.Teacher-Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
Student- Demonstrates Creativity and Innovation

2. Teacher- Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
Student-Use Digital Media and Environments for Communication and Collaboration

3. Teacher-. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
Students- Demonstrate Research and Information Fluency, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making

4.Teacher- Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
Student- Practice Digital Citizenship

I have found the GAME plan to be very effective in having me accomplish my goals. I have, by taking small, consistent steps, accomplished much in these last seven weeks. I am much more comfortable with concept maps and wikis. I have incorporated both in my classroom. At our monthly teacher’s meeting tomorrow I will be encouraging other teachers to learn about them. I believe by teaching my students how to create their own GAME plan, I can help them learn how to achieve their NETS-S standards. In the process they will be developing life-long 21st Century skills.

4 comments:

Victoria Perez said...

Hi Diane, I keep trying to leave you a comment but it does not stick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUZIufR-gOI


Diane, I want you to get over this 50 thing! As I read
your previous February blogs I commend you for creating
an opportunity to show the concept maps and wikis to
your staff. Too bad you and I are not in the same school.
However, we seem to both have supportive administrators.
I spoke to an accountant friend of mine and she wants to
learn about the wikis. People really do want to learn.
They may not know it. I will show her and that will boost my
confidence. I have no team at school so I have to figure
out a way to converse with a teacher for creating a sample.
I was thinking maybe a science teacher. I could banter back
and forth about the paper unit I have planned.

If you go to my blog site, http://educpbl.wikispaces.com/
and click on the “Between DePuay and Perez”, I listed a
wiki site YouTube video that shows how much easier their
wikis are compared to others. I have to try it out in school.
Keep going oh wise one. I would love to invite you onto the wiki.
Our other two members never showed. I will look for you
before Sunday to see if you arrived. Your blog site is beautiful.

Krazymattys said...

Diane,

I think that the GAME plan and the NETS go hand in hand. Are their any standards that you think will be difficult for you to teach your students in the future? I know that the GAME plan is an excellent model to carry out the standards, but their are a lot of variables at my school that would make it tough for me to teach certain standards. Also, which part of the GAME plan would give you the most trouble to follow through on? I think that if we can enhance our GAME plan skills that carrying out NETS and any other standards will become much easier.

robbin+son said...

Victoria and Matt,
Thanks for your comments. Victoria, I went to the other wiki site; but must admit I like wikispaces better. Perhaps it is because I was an organizer of one in a previous class; so was forced to learn it well then. To me it is easy to use. I also like that wikispaces does not have other content (ads, articles etc.) to distract my students. What about the other wiki site makes you prefer it over Wikispaces?

Matt, you asked about which parts of the GAME plan will I have the most difficulty following through on. I think the evaulation is most difficult. It requires time to think and reflect; which I tend not to do as often as I should.

I think the most difficult NET-S to teach my students will be #3 regarding critical thinking, as well as digital citizenship. Although the students are comfortable using Noodle Tools to create their citations, they don't always understand what they are free to use and what material is copyrighted.

Michelle P said...

Hi Diane-
It's been great to see your progress. I'm happy that you have had the opportunity to use new learning tools with your students. Now, you are even taking the opportunity to share information with your fellow teachers. I like how you correlated the teacher and student standards. You've made it very clear how they relate. I agree with you that in order to help students achieve their standards, teachers need to achieve theirs.