Monday, February 22, 2010

Swimming in the Sea of Technology

As I reflect upon the course I am completing, Integrating Technology in the Content Areas, I feel I have jumped in and learned how to do the ‘doggie paddle’. Prior to this course I had learned much about technology and teaching; but had not truly integrated it into my classroom. I have begun the integration, due in part to the GAME plan I followed.

In the past I had created goals and taken some action; but the GAME plan added the elements of monitoring and evaluating the process and progress. I found those pieces to be instrumental in motivating me. As a result of my GAME plan and the support of my colleagues in this course, I have been using discussion boards, collaborative learning and concept-mapping regularly in my classes. Later this spring my students will be using wikis. In addition, I have spoken at our latest teacher’s meeting; encouraging other staff members to try out concept mapping and wikis. In addition, I have spoken with my principal and hope to present a hands-on training session to staff on concept mapping and wikis before this school year is over.

As a result of my learning in this class, I find myself always considering how I can include technology and the NETS (National Educational Technology Standards) into my lessons. I will be using the unit lesson plans just created for my portfolio, with my students this spring.

Many years ago, at the age of 34, I spent several years turning my fear of water into a love for swimming. That was due in large part to consistent baby steps and the encouragement of a wonderful swim instructor. With this course I feel that I have jumped into the pool of technology and love it. With the help of my Walden colleagues and fellow teachers/students, I will continue to refine my skills until I am accomplished. Until that time, I will enjoy the learning experience, continue to try new things, and thrill at the excitement I find in my students’ eyes as I teach them how to incorporate technology as a life-long learning tool.

No comments: